Friday, February 5, 2016

Bring Your Own Device (BYOD)

There are many ways technology can be used in the classroom but usually the technology, whether it be computers, tablets, laptops, etc., is supplied to the students by the school.  A new trend that has come into play in the last few years is having the students use the devices they bring from home.  Any devices they have that could be useful to them they are allowed to bring, whether that is a personal laptop, cell phone, or tablet.  Since I work in an elementary school, I was very skeptical about this concept at first but the more I talk with other teachers and see articles about it, the more I think it could be a good idea for certain grade levels.

I think that Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) would be appropriate for high schoolers only.  I think that elementary and middle school age students are not responsible enough to safely transport  their devices back and forth to school.  High schoolers are more dependable and responsible when it comes to their devices.  My way of thinking is also that if they are going to bring their devices to school anyway, they might as well use them for class.  According to the New York Times article Digitally Aided Education, Using the Students' Own Electronic Gear, it is also a cost saving method for school's that can't afford to get technology of their own.  The article also states that it allows students to use apps they use at school at home to practice for a test.  A high school teacher I know told me that she found a graphing calculator app that the kids can use on their phone that replaces the hundred plus dollar graphing calculator that they would need to buy for class.

Some strict district policies would have to be in place for this to work.  Everything would have to be password protected and the computer would have to be up-to-date security-wise.  The students would have to understand that there is a time and a place to use their technology.  Their technology would not be used in every class every day.  The students would have to sign a contract at the beginning of the school year agreeing to all the school policies and understanding that their technology can and will be banned from school if it is not used appropriately.

Special training would have to be done with the teachers, students and parents.  The teachers would have to be trained to use multiple types of devices as well as how to make those types of devices as secure as they possibly can be.  Students would need to be trained in how to use their devices safely and appropriately at school.  Digital citizenship would be discussed, how the decisions they make now will affect their futures.  Parents will take part in a meeting before school starts where any concerns can be addressed.  I think that parents of high schoolers will be much more receptive to this idea than middle or elementary parents would be.

Although it would be ideal if all schools could have the funds to get the technology they need, I think  this is a good alternative for high school students.

References

Richtell, Matt. (2013). Digitally aided education, using the students' own electronic gear. Retrieved from http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/23/technology/in-some-schools-students-bring-their-own-technology.html?_r=0

No comments:

Post a Comment