Sunday, January 24, 2016

Spreadsheets Using Google Docs

Hello Everyone!

If you go to this link (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1qLc7jQJBE4cb9pyQdhjj8ra-eF2KhK73spjzrVbMBbY/edit?usp=sharing), it will take you to a spreadsheet that I made using Google Docs.  I've used Google Docs for many things when it comes to writing but never for a spreadsheet.  It is definitely comparable to Microsoft Excel; both are user-friendly and easy to work with.  One of the definite advantages of using an app like Google Docs for a spreadsheet is that it is easy to share with other people.  If you need to send it to your principal, a specialist, another teacher, a student's former teacher, etc. it is easy to send just by hitting share and sending it to them.  I think Google Docs is also great for spreadsheets because it also comes with many tools.  I was easily able to change the color of the boxes I was using to make my information more reader-friendly.  One quick glance and I can tell which standards need more work and which ones don't.

One of the downfalls to using Google Docs, as with any other online app, is that it may be seen as tricky to someone who has never used it before.  High schools offer courses to help students understand the different programs they may need to use in the job world.  For my generation, that was programs like Microsoft Word and Excel.  Now, I'm sure they are teaching students about the benefits of Google Apps and Zoho creator to do the same thing that we once did using Microsoft products.  The point is that all of these apps and programs take some practice so without that practice this may be tricky to make or understand for a teacher who has never used one before.  Simple enough to learn but teachers have so many things on their mind already that something even this simple is falling to the wayside.

However, for those educators who can create them and understand the information presented, this tool could come in handy in the classroom and school-wide.  This could demonstrate what each individual teacher needs to work on and promote discussion of what has worked better to give students better understanding.  Ideas can be shared between teachers to help boost scores on tests and in all different subjects.  It can also aid teachers in helping individual students who are struggling in all areas.  Looking at the results of the spreadsheet may cause a teacher to rethink how he/she is teaching to a way that is conducive to all learners and may, in fact, include technology.  Overall, spreadsheets are very useful to teachers and may be the key to doing better on assessments.

No comments:

Post a Comment